unauthorized biography of being jamie

Friday, July 15, 2005

me? a Good Samaritan?

I was waiting for the train to arrive when I was asked by a perturbed looking man for the direction to KLCC. The way he speaks made me certain that he is non-Malaysian. It sounded so foreign to me – might be Korean or even Japanese. As I switch myself to a Good Samaritan mode, I can’t help but to carry on with the conversation. I was overwhelmed with the idea of talking to some foreign dude. A middle age (37 years old) Korean guy, he introduced himself as Charlie…err what? Was that English or I simply mistakenly heard of what he had said?

Anyway he is on a three-day business trip in Malaysia. I got to know that he used to be a Hardware Engineer for a giant corporation with the like of Quantum Corp. back in Seoul. Of course the conversations were nothing more of tourist-type kind of questions. “May I know how old are you now?” he asked me with that furrow eyebrows that we usually watch in Korean dramas. “Oh I’m 26 …err no. It’s 27 actually…” I reply lamely. “Oh, you know most of the Korean youth, they get their very first job by the age of 27 or 28. This is because we have to spend 35 months in military service.” Wah Lau Wei! That’s like three years wor…and yet some of our Malaysian youth and even parents are whining of such duration that they have to spend serving our very own National Service, and that’s like 4 months only!!!

******
Arrived home at around eight something. My housemates were not around so my guess was that they might be at the pasar malam nearby. Two hours later, decided to go out for dinner alone and how wrong I was of that when I bumped into my former manager, Mr. Azhar with his so-called apprentice, called ‘Kucing’. Was it Kucing or they were really referring to something else like dog-worrying mammals? Anyway Kucing happened to be an assistant manager. One hour later, another friend of them joining us and he’s in some kind of managerial position as well for a restaurant in Sungei Wang.

Oh this is great! I thought to myself. What am I gonna talk about? Cobol debugging methods or the Sims 2 game? Three managers in the same table over dinner talking about their sales and daily routines, when will I get the turn to chip in the conversation. Ah I know! Football!!! So there you go, bull’s eye that was. So the conversation lasted till two in the morning…whoa! Should move my ass back to the house…yawn yawn…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home