unauthorized biography of being jamie

Sunday, July 03, 2005

unconventional behaviour

When I boarded the Putra LRT, I noticed that most of the commuters had their eyes fixed in one direction. (Unfortunately not on me) there was this old guy, white untidy long hair with split-ends, sitting alone all by himself, laughing out loud, making noises which didn’t make much senses at all. Of course, such an impression would make any commuters felt uncomfortable left alone kids. But I found it quite amusing though, the way they looked at him, like a bit disgusted. They might think that this old man was lunatic, crazy etc hence normal people felt intimidated. Now why is that so?

It so reminded me of myself a few years back. When my mom got an offer to work in Psychiatric Hospital in Kuching, we have to move away from my hometown in Sibu. Being a teen with rebellious attitude was typical but I was still a novice though. Anyway, feeling furious at anything around you was not my kinda things (not yet). Moving to another city was great and exciting but I worried about my mom and her new job didn’t make things any much better. There’s one time when we have to wait for her before she finished her shift, a patient was left wandering around the parameter and he ended standing next to our car. I was so scared err a bit scared of course. After few minutes, he left. And me still in one piece, intact came to my senses that there’s nothing much to be worried about.

I was frightened because I didn’t understand them. These patients, they are not as harmful as I ought to think but just lost in their own mind somewhere. Some I guess are so depressed of their own life that they hide themselves somewhere in their minds, but when they decide to come out to face the reality, they have lost in their own nutshell. Now I’m grateful that we do have this kind of institution where they can seek for help and guidance. To tell you the truth, I have never been so proud that my mom decided to accept that job offer and in fact I’m really proud of her. Something that I never had the chance of telling her…

Maybe nowadays being normal is hard to do, but being eccentric is like walking in the park…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home